Those new to paddling canoes will need to learn about the basic components and design factors used by the craft. Effective communication with other paddlers will depend on knowing this common terminology. Canoes vary in construction and design. Craft can be built of birch bark or carbon fiber. A boat used in whitewater will be much different from a canoe suitable for hauling freight. Four key design factors for a canoe performance are length, width, hull shape and rocker.
Canoe Terms and Components
- Bow – The forward end of the boat
- Stern – The aft or rearward part of a canoe
- End Deck – A covering over the ends of a canoe that provides reinforcement of the hull and possible space for storage or flotation
- Gunwales or Rails – Upper edges of the canoe hull that usually have reinforcing material like wood or plastic to help hold the shape of the hull
- Seats – Used for seating or support for paddling while kneeling. Numbers and locations will vary with overall length
- Thwarts – These are cross braces connecting the gunwales that help support the hull
- Portage Yoke – A thwart modified as a shoulder rest to help with portaging a canoe
- Draft – The distance from the waterline to the bottom of the canoe
- Amidships – This is the center section of the canoe
- Stem – The vertical edge of the bow and stern
- Beam – Width of the canoe at its widest point, usually amidships
- Freeboard – The distance from the waterline to the lowest point of the gunwales
Canoe Performance Factors
- Length – Overall length of a canoe determines its maximum speed through the water and carrying capacity. Longer canoes are faster, but shorter ones are more maneuverable.
- Width or Beam – A narrow canoe will track or travel straighter and travel faster than a wider one. Wide canoes offer better stability and seaworthiness.
- Hull Shape – The cross sectional shape of a hull greatly effects performance and stability. Flat bottomed canoes are less stable in rough water than those with rounder hulls. Hulls can be flared to improve seaworthiness by redirecting waves away from the canoe. A tumblehome hull shape can increase paddling effectiveness by sloping the hull towards the gunwales. Canoes can be designed using multiple cross sectional shape at different point along their length.
Rocker – The stems of a canoe are upturned. Rocker describes the degree of curve found along the keel line. A canoe with high rocker is more maneuverable and easier to handle. If you look at a canoe designed for whitewater use, it will be short and have lots of rocker.
It was tested by various methods injustice 2 hack.
It is secure website about game tricks and secrets sims freeplay hack.
Finding effective and safe golf clash hack is extremely hard nowadays.
You can use simpsons tapped out free donuts without any limits.
Use csr2 cheats daily or weekly with no restrictions.
Many gamers enjoy fast working nba live mobile cheats!
The tricks for the games sometimes do not work properly. This trick wizard 101 cheats was tested and it is safe to try.
Follow us and you will known more game secrets soon gardenscapes hack!
Are you ready to try world of tanks blitz hack?
Simply working madden mobile cheats is useful for almost everyone!
Write your comment about this war robots cheat!
If you like gaming you will like clash royale cheats as well!
Can you tell me more information about this clash of clans free gems?